Thursday, February 27, 2014

{Relationships} I Can Be Nice Sometimes

This week, my evenings are spoken for: last week I spent the evenings with netflix in the background, chatting with T while he did hobby-stuff, while I went through all my random notebooks, binders and post-its with inviting notes and ideas, and consolidated them onto one three-page list and the app Wunderlist. (Have since gotten several forgotten-tasks done, thank you very much.) This week, I'm being a good (rather a FANTASTIC partner) and helping T with his hobby stuff: getting him ready for the gaming tournament this weekend.
What does that mean? I'm painting Warhammer 40K miniatures/models.

Since this photo was taken some detail work has been done.
Yeah, I painted that.
It's not done, but has the required 3 colors, and we still have 1 more evening to do the detail-work. I painted 3 large guys like these and about 20 little guys. It's boring and tedious; the tedious part doesn't bug me though- most of my hobbies/work is repetitive. (Different colors would have been more enjoyable- i kept suggesting his armies be pink or sparkly purple but no.)

Why am I doing this? Because otherwise he wouldn't get it done and because I felt like being nice and helpful. To me, part of being an accomplished woman is also to be a good partner. So I help him out from time to time, even if it's for a hobby of his that I really don't give a damn about. (I'm not saying anything here that he doesn't already know, ha!)

I also make sure I've combed my hair before he comes home from work (at the risk of sounding like a 1950s housewife manual), that I don't pounce on him as soon as he comes home telling him every little (cute) thing that the cats did, and I sometimes cook something special for him for dinner. Last week we had steak, last night I tried chicken fried steak (never made it before but I know he likes it and it was really good!) and today I'm going to learn how to make his favorite dish from mexican restaurants, carne guisada.

Nothing major or expensive, but little things to show I care and appreciate how hard he works so that I can run my business full-time. And if I end up with acrylic paints all over my fingers at the end of the evening, it's a small price to pay.

What's a favorite meal that you prepare to make someone feel special?

Cheers, 
ashley 


No comments:

Post a Comment