Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Quietness of Working from Home

This morning I got an early start; was pulling type for a specimen sheet shortly after T left for work. Had a Pandora radio station playing The Smiths, with lots of 80s and Joy Division sprinkled in. It was nice and productive; and digging through the type drawers is strangely relaxing. Dirty as hell, but relaxing. Just had the fan blowing, and when the temperature hit 85* I called it a morning. Was at a stopping point and very hungry, so it was time.

After cleaning up, I made myself a little lunch (salad with goat cheese, sandwich with ham slices & some leftover Brie):

working from home quiet lunch break letterpress work solitude

Before I opened my book, I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet the house was. The cats were all dozing, the a/c hadn't kicked on yet and I turned off the music when finished printing. There was the slightest hum from traffic, and a ceiling fan was on. That was it, and it was so nice.

In the middle of my lunch, my phone rang- it was my replacement from the law firm. She hated to bother me but didn't know who else to ask as the people in the office who would know were both out. I'm always happy to help, and after I made a couple suggestions and we hung up, I laughed: I don't have to deal with document productions any more! Huge productions in zipped files, needing to save them to specific places and copy certain people and make the proper notations... yeah, I don't need to worry about that stuff any more.
And if that isn't motivation for making inviting a success, I don't know what is!

After lunch, photographed the new wedding design that I printed, got that listed in the shop, did Quickbooks for the week, and worked on finding more samples for the Personalized Stationery brag book/catalog to take to shows for pre-orders.

Now, the a/c is on, PBS is streaming some American Experience, but the cats are still quiet and I'm feeling ready to make my list for tomorrow and to work on a PWaT project, calling inviting done for the day, with the exception of working on an interview for This Creative Life.

Hope your day has been as quiet and productive as mine. It's tea time.
Cheers,
ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment